Orlando Boat Accident Attorney
Representing Boat Accident Victims in Orange County
Boating is one of Florida’s most popular recreational past times, but accidents involving watercraft can cause devastating and life-altering injuries. When a collision is the result of another vessel operator’s negligence, you have the right to take legal action and recover compensation for your losses.
Our track record at The Gray Law Firm, LLC speaks for itself: We have obtained millions of dollars for hundreds of personal injury victims throughout Central Florida. Our Orlando boat accident lawyer has over ten years of experience and can provide the compassionate, personalized representation you need to recover damages. When you meet with our team, we will listen to your story, offer an honest assessment of your legal options, and recommend the best available course of action. We care about your case and will fight for the fair outcome you deserve.
Do not wait to explore your legal options after a boating accident. We are available 24/7, so contact us online or call (407) 288-8880 today.
What to Do After a Florida Boat Accident
Boating accidents can happen when you least expect them. One minute, you may be safely anchored in a quiet canal, only to be interrupted by a dangerous, out-of-control vessel. A collision of any kind has the potential to sink your boat, so you must act quickly and rationally to protect everyone’s safety in the immediate aftermath. Whenever possible, you should also take steps to document the scene and protect your right to recover compensation.
After a Florida boat accident, you should:
- Assess the condition of each vessel. If the boats sustained considerable damage, it may not be safe to remain on board. Put on life vests and get to a safe place. Swim to shore, if possible.
- Call 9-1-1. You are legally required to report any boat accident that causes serious injuries or over $2,000 of property damage. You do not have to worry about doing this if you contact law enforcement, as the responding officer will create an official report. Keep in mind that it may take some time for first responders to reach you if you are in a remote location. Be as detailed as possible when describing where you are and how to reach you.
- Stay quiet. Arguments often break out immediately after a boating accident, with each vessel operator blaming the other for what happened. Do not admit any level of fault, and avoid the urge to respond to any accusations or comments. Focus on making sure everyone is okay and then stay as quiet as possible until first responders arrive.
- Gather evidence. If you have the chance, take pictures of the damage to your boat and any injuries you sustained. You should also photograph any conditions or factors that may have contributed to the accident.
- Exchange contact information. You will need the other boat operator’s name, phone number, and address.
- Seek medical attention. You should always see your doctor as soon as possible after a boat accident, no matter how minor (or nonexistent) your injuries may seem. A boat collision can trigger injuries that may not be immediately obvious, and you could face severe medical consequences if you do not get the appropriate treatment. Keep copies of all medical reports and related bills.
- Get in touch with our Orlando boat accident attorney. It is in your best interest to hire legal representation immediately after you suffer losses due to someone else’s negligence. If the other boat operator or their representatives call you in the days after the accident, do not accept any settlements, answer any questions, or make any statements. Anything you say, no matter how seemingly harmless, can be used against you. We can negotiate potential settlements and handle other communications on your behalf.
Recovering Damages through a Florida Boat Accident Lawsuit
To recover damages in a Florida boat accident case, you must prove the other boat operator’s negligence led to your injuries and other losses. Examples of negligence include operating a boat while intoxicated, operating a boat without the required safety certification, driving at dangerous speeds, driving too close to other vessels, and failing to watch out for skiers and swimmers. Our team at The Gray Law Firm, LLC knows how to establish negligence in these cases.
In the state of Florida, you only have four years from the date of the accident to bring a personal injury claim against another boat operator. If a loved one dies in a boating accident, you will have two years from the date of their passing to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
A Florida boat accident lawsuit can help you recover compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Physical pain and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages
If you were partially responsible for the boat accident, you may still be able to recover compensation. The court will assign you a percentage of fault, and the total damage you can recover will be reduced by this amount. For example, if your damages total $100,000 and the court believes you are 25% at fault, you can still collect up to $75,000.
No matter your circumstances, our Orlando boat accident lawyer will fight to maximize your recovery. We understand you are going through a stressful time and will work to make the legal process as efficient and painless as possible.
Call (407) 288-8880 or contact us online to discuss your case with us. We also handle personal injury claims involving auto accidents and truck accidents.
Our Case Results
Millions Recovered for Our Clients
Car Accident Involving a Head Injury $450,000
Car Accident Involving a Back Injury $105,000
Car Accident Involving a Head Injury $100,000
Truck Accident Involving a Back Injury $53,000
Car Accident Involving a Back Injury $50,000
Bicycle Accident $50,000
Car Accident Involving a Herniated Disc $45,000
Our Clients Say It BestPersonal Attention Driven Toward Successful Results
"The Gray Law Firm made my not so great experience as pleasant as it could possibly have been. They provided diamond level customer service, timely updates, & thoroughly explained the process ahead of my questions."Jwi
"I could not have asked for a better attorney than Veronica Gray! She is definitely my go to Attorney from now on. Through the whole process Veronica Gray and her team were quick to respond and get things done!"Fran
"She cares a lot about her clients and their cases. She goes the extra step to provide clients with high quality legal services."Elaina
"Attorney Veronica Gray is the best in her field. I have personally witnessed the personal touch she gives each client. She handles her cases with compassion and competency."Paulette
"She swiftly responded to my personal injury claim and has been responsive and available for all of my questions throughout the process. I would highly recommend her to anyone looking for a personal injury attorney in the central Florida area."Lucie
"I am so thankful and glad that through a difficult and painful time Attorney Gray and her office were the ones who helped me get through."Kallena
"Veronica was very attentive, considerate & thorough in her assessment of my situation. She did not hesitate to address the unique needs of my case, her follow up was prompt & consistent updates was very helpful."Jonathan
"She takes your case seriously and gives you the personal attention you deserve."Brittany
"The Gray Law firm has handled multiple cases referred to them and everyone has been extremely pleased. Veronica is responsive and keeps her clients up to date on all movements on their case. Highly ..."Joe
Over 11 Years of Experience
Millions Recovered for our Clients
Personalized Attention to Every Client
Female-Owned Law Firm